Tuesday 12 March 2013

One Of Them Days.

Well I got up with best intentions today and headed straight to the garage.

Over the last few days I've had the bike running, but not as sweet as it usually is.

After checking electrics etc I then swapped the carbs from the engine I took out, and it ran like a dream.

Apart that is, from the fact the petrol was coming out of one of the overflows.

I took the carbs I'd taken off and cleaned them all up again so wanted to see if they worked ok.

I wanted to get the bike running and then change the carbs over.

Whilst working on the bike I noticed smoke rising from the back of the bike.

Not good news I thought, or words to that effect.

On closer inspection it turned out that a screwdriver had rolled down and shorted out on the positive terminal of the battery. I'd even disconnected the battery whilst I was working on the bike.

It had shorted out against the oil reservoir for the shock absorber.

This had heated up the braided line between the reservoir and the shock, melted the rubber inside the line and caused the oil to leak all over the bike.

So I've now got to send the shock away and get the pipe replaced.

Its not all bad as this means the shock gets a service, something its not had since I've owned it, and should come back all lovely.

I spoke with Proflex and they reckon on a 10 day turnaround. I'm just hoping that it is one which they still can service due to its age and also that it gets back before my test day.

After I got the bike cleaned up I went back to the carbs.

The ones on the engine have now stopped leaking through the overflow.

I removed these and put my other carbs back on.

All went well until I pressed the starter.

Nothing but a clicking from the solenoid.

So it looks like this has expired on me now, as I know battery is good and all fuses are still complete.

All this and it wasn't even dinner time.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect such teething problems but didn't think I'd need to get the shock sorted.

Still as I said should feel a lot better after a service.

Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow.

Speak soon



  1. Great to read you blog. i was fascinated to find out why you are called "Black Dub Racing" - I can see now. Sorry to hear you had an off there. I marshal there - have done since 2004 so you were a bit before my time - but they are a good crew there and I'm sure they looked after you. Really glad to hear you made it through okay - our little section can bite pretty bad at times. Love the wall paper photo - takes me right back to the best place on earth (you might not agree!). Anyway - best wishes to you for the forthcoming season - stay safe and fast.

    Dan Williams

  2. Hi Dan

    Thanks for the comments.

    Yes they did look after me well, and its them I have to thank for being here today. This is why I marshal at TT and Manx in case someone else needs similar assistance.

    Apparently a chap turned up to watch from Black Dub on the day I came off. They told him he could only watch from there if he marshalled as there is no spectator areas there. He agreed to help out and sadly on my second lap I probably ruined his day, sorry if you are reading this.

    Black Dub still has a special place in my heart and always say hello when I pass through.

    Thanks once again for your wishes and if you are at any meetings I'm at please come and say hello.